On August 23, 2020, Pet Kingdom and the Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (Suzhou Branch) released the nose print recognition technology at Pet Fair Asia. At the same time, it signed a nose print recognition technology cooperation agreement with Ping An Property & Casualty to apply this technology to pet insurance, the first commercial application of this pet nose print recognition technology.
According to the person in charge of Pet Kingdom, the nose print recognition solution released this time has completely broken the traditional pet identity authentication model with its convenient mobile, unique, non-invasive and painless technical features. The launch of this technology will help implement the establishment of pet files and carry out related expansions in urban dog management, medical insurance, pet retrieval, event events and other fields, bringing huge social and economic benefits. Since July last year, many companies have successively launched nose print recognition technology, but it is the industry’s first to combine technology, market demand, and commercialization.
98% accuracy rate within 1 second
At the press conference, Li Ling, director of the Medical Devices and Rehabilitation Center of Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology, introduced the three technical highlights of the nose print recognition technology:
- High accuracy The UltSmart-Pet framework independently developed by the team integrates various functions such as nose pattern collection, nose pattern detection, living body detection and nose pattern recognition for pets. The nose print recognition technology based on the UltSmart-Pet framework has reached a 1:1 recognition scenario with a recognition accuracy rate of not less than 98%; in a 1:N recognition scenario, the recognition accuracy rate is not less than 95%.
- The highly interactive nose print collection process designed by ourselves and the self-developed automatic nose print detection algorithm make the collection process convenient and efficient. The pet owner can complete the nose print collection independently in less than 1 second.
- Anti-photo/video cheating The original “live recognition” technology including border detection, moiré detection and flash point detection can strictly guarantee the uniqueness of the living body marked by the nose pattern, and avoid the fraud caused by the use of toy dogs or pet pictures\videos risk.
In addition to the nose print recognition technology, the most difficult part of this research is to obtain a large amount of sample data to support deep learning. On the one hand, where to obtain the channels for collecting dogs, behind it is the problem of customer acquisition cost; on the other hand, it is the problem of technical accuracy behind how large the sample of dogs is. Solving these two problems has obvious advantages for Pet Kingdom.
Cooperating with Pet Kingdom, the CKU (China Kennel Union) is the only organization authorized by the World Kennel Federation (FCI) to certify purebred dogs in mainland China. It has a live resource of 100,000-200,000 certified dogs per year, covering mainstream dog breeds in the market, and can provide a large number of samples to pass Continuous machine learning improves the quality and efficiency of nose print recognition under different scenarios. At the same time, the company has registered over 1.2 million purebred pets, realizing the traceability of domestic purebred pets. The subsequent application of nose print recognition technology can enhance the service experience of partners.
Nose print recognition technology application may start to replace traditional chips
Whether it is urban dog management, pet loss prevention, or pet medical insurance, the establishment of pet files has become a rigid need. In foreign countries, implanting chips is the main way to generate pet “electronic ID cards” and establish pet files. In China, according to public data, in 2019, the number of pet dogs in cities and towns across the country has reached 55.03 million. However, because chip implantation requires professional equipment and professional institutions to provide technical support, it is difficult; on the other hand, the implantation process will bring pain to the pet and make the experience poor, which will seriously affect the establishment of pet files.
Talking about the necessity of launching the dog nose pattern recognition technology, Pet Kingdom pointed out:
- The nose print is as unique as a human fingerprint. Even if it is an identical twin or a clone, the nose prints are all different and will not change with the growth of the individual. It is a very reliable means of identification. . It is not easy to retrieve a pet if it is lost. The establishment of an “electronic ID card” for pets, and pet insurance insuring claims can all be realized through nose print recognition. In the future, it can also be widely used in pet search, urban pet management and other fields.
- Pet nose print recognition is less expensive than traditional recognition methods such as chip implantation, and it does not cause pain to pets. From a user perspective, compared to chip implantation, a unique identity file can be established for pets through nose print recognition; from a business perspective, the application scenarios of nose prints will be particularly broad.
Opportunity to accelerate pet insurance development
According to the person in charge of the scene, pet insurance has not been popularized in the past ten years due to difficulties in pet identification and cumbersome claims. Public data shows that the coverage rate of domestic pet insurance is far below 1%, far below the 25% in the UK and 10% in Japan. At present, implanting chips in pets is the mainstream way to establish pet electronic ID cards and urban pet management, but because of the difficulty, high cost, and poor pet experience, the penetration rate is not high. The development of nose print recognition technology just makes up for the shortcomings of traditional chips. The nose print recognition technology has high accuracy, fast and simple operation, and good user interaction experience. It makes the establishment of pet identity verification simple and easy to operate, and greatly reduces the threshold for pet insurance. . At the same time, this technology strictly guarantees the uniqueness of the nasal pattern mark in vivo and effectively improves product risk control.
In addition, the nose print recognition technology helps pets establish a life-long health record, is conducive to strictly screening pet hospitals, guarantees all diseases, supports lifetime renewal services, and establishes a full-process management system for pets’ lifelong health.
Through this cooperation, Pet Kingdom has become the industry’s first company to introduce canine nose pattern recognition technology into the commercial field, providing a broad space for the commercial implementation of nose pattern recognition technology and realizing two-way resonance between technology and the market.